Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What's Up Pussycat?



Like most Asian females, I've been enamoured with all things Hello Kitty since childhood.  During my lifetime, I've witnessed the somewhat surprising and multifarious pop cultural appropriations of the mouthless Japanese kitten, who has seen her low-brow cartoon icon status reach art star proportions, appearing in museum exhibitions alongside Takashi Murakami, as well as being sculpted by Tom Sachs, with the results currently gracing the courtyard of Lever House.

This year alone Ms. Kitty seems to be doing her fair share of dabbling in the fashion world, appearing on T-shirts at Colette, taking residence at the Opening Ceremony store, and most recently, releasing a makeup collaboration with M.A.C.  As the proud owner of a Hello Kitty toaster (which my husband despises) and waffle maker (which spits out Kitty shaped waffles), I was a bit alarmed when I found this video of the M.A.C. x Hello Kitty advertisement on Racked yesterday.  Trannies, tulle, pussycats, the color pink, and Hello Kitty herself (albeit, as an oiled-up, frog-hopping, male go-go dancer), are all things that I love and adore individually, but all put together at once in a very David Lachapelle style music video?  I know I definitely have better things to write about than this (seriously, that Rodarte dress DIY is coming), but it makes the mind-bend a little, and had to be shared.  Of course, I will probably still buy the makeup...
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment