Saturday, February 21, 2009

Rendez-Vous New York

E.M. noir, the super-sick men's jewelry line designed by the same team as E.M., who I will be representing this season at Fiftytwo.

Ok, so I feel somewhat like I'm posting from my deathbed at the moment, half-way through Market Week, with the other half of the marathon left to finish. Luckily, the company that I've had at the trade shows has made it well worth it. Yesterday, I stepped in for Catherine to represent Kaylee Tankus at the Rendez-Vous New York trade show, the contemporary fashion trade show based in Paris, that made its New York debut this season. First, let me say that I was wonderfully surprised when I arrived, and found that half the people staffing the show were old nightlife friends, which added to the general sense of camaraderie in the air, and the significantly laid back atmosphere. Normally, I'd be a bit scared to ask other vendors to take pictures, since so many people crash trade shows to blatantly copy clothing lines, and there always seems to be an underlying sense of paranoia in the air. This time though, I felt perfectly at ease chatting with some of the amazing designers who were exhibiting. Here are a few of the many highlights.

Some of the really amazing hats and gloves from the lovely people at London's Six Showroom.

An orange felt Minimarket bowler hat that I'm coveting, also from Six Showroom.

I was so lucky to have Bijules as my booth neighbor.  Not only is she one of the most awesome downtown party girls (we've hosted with her before), but I'm always blown away by her unique voice and vision, and this season she continued to impress.  Check out her metal Elfin-ear attachments, and her cast-mineral brass knuckles.

I got to meet Arielle de Pinto, whose crochet chain mail necklaces I've admired for a very long time.

I totally fell in love with this adorable clown-face shirt from Pepper & Pistol, who did an entire Circus and Clown themed collection for Fall 2009.

Brendan, a new friend I met through Susie, walked through some of the booths with me.  Both of us appreciated these giant felt A.F. Vandervorst boots.

This rubber necklace looked and smelled like garlands of black licorice.  It was from Barbara I Gongini's booth, which was one of my favorite in the entire show---I will have to dedicate a separate post to it!

A padded Risto Bimbiloski jacket covered in eagle eyes tapped into my current obsession with Twin-Peak-style-creepy-bird clothing.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment