Saturday, February 28, 2009

Through the Rabbit Hole


Just when I was starting to think that I'd seen everything that contemporary jewelry designers have to offer, Korean Swedish designer Aud Charlotte Ho Sook Sinding appeared on my radar.  Looking more like a sculptural protrusion or an uncomfortable outgrowth of the wearer's body than say, your traditional adornment, Sinding's rubber pieces are oversized and outlandish.  I haven't seen them in person, so it's impossible for me to gauge the weight of these objects, but looking at the true-to-life-sized birds that perch on your hand as a component of a ring, I'm pretty sure this jewelry serves to hinder the wearer's mobility.  You can definitely forget about performing banal activities like washing the dishes or blogging in these (although I'm sure they'd make hailing a cab a cinch).  It's kind of one of those cases where the jewelry wears you, and I imagine that once you put on one of Sinding's broaches, you in effect become part of the sculpture.  Whether this appeals to your or not, this is the kind of art that I wouldn't mind becoming, and without having to undergo some kind of frightening Jocelyn Wildenstein style transformation either.  Apparently, this ScandinAsian designer is represented by Charon Kransen in New York, which might warrant a further in-person visit...




-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment