Friday, November 12, 2010

Asian Invasion

I normally don't wear sunglasses inside, I swear, but it's so much easier than putting on makeup and trying to look good. Boots courtesy of 80%20, Daniel Palillo shirt which Aapo gave me, C. Neeon leggings, Alexander Wang sunglasses, Triskaidekaphobia necklace.

For someone who grew up getting a lot of flack for not speaking any Chinese, and generally not being Asian enough (I had a childhood dread of Chinese food, having suffered from a massive over-consumption of it), I think I grew up to become a somewhat typical Asian girl. Not only have I overcome my distaste for dim sum, but judging from my Hello Kitty toaster (and waffle machine and hairbrush), and the fact that I regularly dress in matching outfits with my best (Filipino) girlfriend, I definitely feel like I fall into some major Asian girl stereotypes.

While I probably just barely met any of the requirements for being a young professional Asian, I was lucky enough to be invited to attend the Museum of Chinese in America's Young Professional Expo on Wednesday night, which was essentially a combination of all my favorite Asian things in one place. While the crowd was definitely more my baby brother's scene than mine (he's off being an uber-young professional Asian at Harvard Business School), I still had a really good time. There was an unending assortment of dim sum and Asian snacks from local restaurants like Dim Sum A Go-Go, Lair, and my personal favorite, Kyotofu. And of course, two of my favorite young Asian designers were on hand selling their wares: Mary Ping of Slow and Steady Wins the Race, and Ce Ce Chin of 80%20 shoes. I attended the 80%20 five year anniversary party this summer, and each collection just gets cuter and cuter. The current fall collection might be my favorite yet, and I was lucky enough to leave with my favorite pair--the Heide wedged hiking boot, which are also really comfortable and easy to walk in.


80%20 ponyhair boots with a hidden heel, as modeled by 80%20 staffer Kristina

Another shot of the Heide boots

Shearling booties with a hidden heel

The wool Eliotte booties

Mary Ping's fox stole and four-sided bag

Slow and Steady Wins the Race bags--I have the Chanel-style one!


I had to include a song by my one of my favorite Asian-lady fronted bands, Asobi Seksu, for good measure.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment