Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Memphis Blues Again

A show-stopping printed evening gown

Holly Fulton is one of my favorite young designers, and I was overjoyed to have the opportunity to view her collection in person last week at the London Show Rooms. Holly is known for her continued use of Art Deco motifs in her clothes, and this season, she said she was particularly inspired by the Memphis Group of Architecture. The Memphis style, which emerged in the eighties, is defined by striking and sometimes clashing colorways, and bold and outrageous design statements. Holly adopted the movement's mix of bright colors, Art Deco influences, and mishmash of materials into her clothing, which one might describe as highly stylized retro-futurism.

Both of my parents are architects, and my father is quite a big fan of the Memphis and New International Style, so I grew up surrounded by it, and all of the pieces remind me a bit of my parent's first over-the-top apartment back in the 80's (they have since moved, and gotten more minimalist). There wasn't a single piece I didn't love, and I was particularly blown away by the massive amount of work that goes into many of the pieces, which are alternatively covered in Swarovski crystals, or millions of tiny little beads. If you are like me, and would like a piece of Holly's collection, but can't afford the prices, don't fret! Holly informed me that her new collection for ASOS.com just launched, and is available for a pretty reasonable price right here. Not a bad substitute at all.

A skirt which is hand-embellished with thousands of beads

More birds, more beads, more crystals!

A sampling of Holly's gorgeous jewelry, which is made of a mishmash of cut perspex, wood, studs, and crystals!


Holly's adorable sketches for the Spring collection

A cartoony cloud-printed dress

One of several gorgeous bags

Holly Fulton for ASOS dress $112

Holly Fulton for ASOS printed jersey top $77, and leggings $77
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment