Sunday, November 14, 2010

Road Trippin'



As I've mentioned before, one of the big trends I've noticed recently is Americana, and more specifically, a renewed fascination with the American Southwest. When I've mentioned this to my industry friends several of them have looked at me askance and questioned when I decided that I was qualified to be a trend forecaster. I never said I was qualified, but I do have a pair of beady little eyes, and I see it everywhere I look, whether it's the current obsession with heritage brands like Pendleton, or the recent incorporation of the kitchy dream catcher motifs into jewelry. Even the Mulleavy sisters took a road trip across Texas and were influenced by border towns for the current Rodarte collection.

Anyway, I could continue on with the examples, but I think it will suffice to show you the latest one, from the lovely ladies at Shape Shiftr. For Spring 2011, the designers Meghan and J'aime were inspired by a trip across the country, Navajo Indians, rock art, wigwams, bones, skulls, and of course, dream catchers. They've thrown in a bit of Stevie Nicks witchyness, and their signature shape-shifting silhouettes, and the added edgy touch prevents the collection from falling into all the potential tourist-shop cliches that come with such well-traveled terrain. Anyway, here are a few amazing shots from their lookbook, as well as some good road trip music from the Crystal Stilts for good measure.








Crystal Stilts- Shake the Shackles
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment