Thursday, July 16, 2009

Urban Spoils

Rapscallion by Samantha Pleet romper, Marc Jacobs heels, Moschino heart shaped bag

After the DIY or DIE event at Urban Outfitters, Andie and Kate were kind enough to put together a special goody bag for those of us who helped organize the afternoon. In addition to an U.O. gift certificate, which I used to buy this Rapscallion by Samantha Pleet romper and new DJ headphones, we got some nailpolish, a jersey dress, and this awesome DIY necklace kit based on a design by Anni Albers. Anni Albers was one of the original members of the Bauhaus, and designed these grosgrain and washer necklaces during WWII, demonstrating that you can craft something beautiful out of something inexpensive and commonplace. I love the necklace, which seems to marry Margiela's use of common objects, and Lanvin's elegant use of grosgrain, yet predates both of these houses' jewelry designs by half a century. The resulting effect looks almost like a string of giant metal sequins, and I've been wearing it so often now that I'm ready to DIY myself a second longer version in black.

DIY Anni Albers washer and grosgrain ribbon necklace

The grey, cobalt blue and black nailpolishes that I ended up taking home with me!
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment