Monday, July 13, 2009

DIY or DIE

For the event, we wore our DIY porcelain flower skirts that we made for the Chictopia party we threw last Fashion Week. I wore my skirt with a VPL tee and Damaris bra, Christina wore hers with a DIY shredded tank and a VPL bra.

Thank you to everybody who made it out yesterday to hang out with Jeralyn, Sarah A., Pammy, Nikki, Christina and myself---we're so grateful that Andie and Kate at Urban Outfitters let us do this event! It was a great chance to hang out with some of our favorite fellow bloggers, and it was also an opportunity for everyone participating to show how accessible and easy DIY can be. I know that many people have previously complained to us that our DIYs are difficult to follow, or may require knowledge of sewing/knitting/etc that not everybody has. While our DIYs range from super-crafty to semi-professional, I think that there a lot of things that you can do to personalize your wardrobe without any formal training or experience. I chose to demonstrate the most easy DIY possible, cutting and slashing, on several jersey dresses and tops that Urban provided. Christina in turn demonstrated how easy it is to make a nice statement necklace out of a simple chain necklace and some long gradient fringe. I wish I captured more pictures from the event and everyone who attended, but we were so busy running around I didn't manage to get many. Look out for more pictures on everyone else's blogs, but in the meantime, here are some close ups of all of our projects!

EDIT: See more pictures of the entire event here on Badlooking!

Pammy's incredible crochet chain bracelets. The hot pink lanyard bracelet was made for Screaming Mimi's Montauk store!

A slash dress that I made from an U.O. tube dress, paired with a U.O. cardigan and necklace.

Jeralyn did the incredible studding on this black pleather U.O dress, while Nikki distressed and added chain to these white U.O. jeans.

This is one of the gradiant fringe necklaces Christina made from an existing U.O. chain swag necklace, worn ove one of Sarah A.'s shredded tees.

I put the DIY Rodarte leggings I made up as a more advanced example of cutting, and what you can do with nothing more than a pair of scissors. It's paired it with the DIY zipper trim dress that we just made, and an U.O. pleather necklace.

The night before, I wore the DIY Rodarte leggings with a Margarita Saplala dress, YSL belt and shoes, DIY tiger mask hat, Gerard Yosca bracelet, and a necklace and ring of my own design.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment