Monday, April 27, 2009

Scissor Sisters: DIY Alexander Wang Slash Dress!

Nicollette wearing the slash dress to our party at Webster Hall.  Photo by Joshua Bartky.

Are you sick of slashes already?  I know the slashed pant has been DIY'd to death, but the slash dress has yet to have its spot in the limelight.  Christina made these amazing Alexander Wang inspired slash dresses a month ago for herself and Nicollette while I was out of town, and was sweet enough to make me one to match last week. While she made the black dress, as well as the nude dress worn underneath, it's very easy to replicate the technique on any store bought jersey dress, for those of you who don't know how to sew! Here's how Christina made the dress.

The original inspiration piece, this slashed dress from the Alexander Wang Fall 09 show.  Christina made it literally about 2 weeks after it hit the runway!  Photo from Style.com


1. Measure a 1-inch area at the center of the dress, and using tailor's chalk, draw a line running down each side of the 1-inch area. Measure 1/2" away from the edge of both the left and the right side of the dress, and draw a line running down the sides.

2. Using fabric sheers, cut slashes between the two parallel white lines. Christina spaced her slashes about 3/4" apart.

I hope that all of you who have complained about not being able to follow our DIY's in the past (I know my Rodarte Knitting isn't exactly a beginner DIY) will give this one a try, and share the results with us!!!

Wearing my slash dress to Six Six Sick last Tuesday!  I love wearing it over the nude, but I can't wait to try layering it over different colored dresses too!
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment