Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Early Nineties Bedroom Dancing

I still find it incredible strange that the 90's are such a bygone era, that they are ready to be rehashed anew by the fashion world, having already provided rampant inspiration for many of this past season's collections.  I myself lived through the 90's, remember the day Kurt Cobain died, and still have Pearl Jam's Vitalogy on cassette tape somewhere.  I even have the clothes to prove it, including some Betsey Johnson baby-floral dresses, Courtney Love style slips, and a pair of Doc Martins that I bought when I was fifteen, although I admit, I tossed all of my flannel shirts from that era out a long time ago.  I guess it just makes me feel really old when I see things from my not-so-distant past dug up and brought back to earth as "vintage."

Well, even though I feel like it might be slightly too soon for my comfort to start reminiscing about the 90's, I will reach back and wax poetic about one collection in particular, the infamous grunge collection that Marc Jacobs designed for Perry Ellis Spring 1993.  Even if Marc simply lifted the looks that kids were wearing on the street and put them on the catwalk, to me, that collection epitomized an era.  It also put Marc on the map, even if it got him fired.  Shockingly, I had a lot of difficulty finding images of the collection online, even though it's referenced so often, even by the designer himself for his Fall 2006 collection.  WWD has the entire runway show on their website, but you need a subscription to view it properly.  Apparently though, I've heard that the new Model as Muse exhibition at The Met pays homage to some of the original looks, although I have yet to see it.  I decided to pay homage to the collection myself today, with my open-front Anna Sui floral dress layered over a vintage slip, and mismatched with some disheveled and deconstructed plaid.  I even dragged out my old Doc Martin boots...

Six Six Sick deconstructed plaid shirt, Anna Sui floral print dress, vintage slip, Doc Martin boots, tights from Paris, beanie from the dollar store, Antti Asplund necklaces

The infamous Grunge inspired show that Marc Jacobs did for Perry Ellis Spring 1993.

Young Marc and models wearing looks from Perry Ellis Spring 1993

Naomi Campbell and Kristen McMemeny wearing grunge looks.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment