Thursday, June 4, 2009

All In The Family

Laura Mulleavy, left, wearing some of her mother's charm necklaces.

I haven't written about Rodarte in a while, mainly because after my multiple Rodarte DIYs (knit tights, dress, and cutout leggings), I wouldn't be surprised if the Mulleavy sisters were to serve me with some kind of restraining order, a la Tyra Banks and her stalker. As if I couldn't be more of a creepy obsessed fan, I recently found out that Laura and Kate's artist mother, Victoria Mulleavy, is behind the Rodarte jewelry line. Even though much has been made of the incredible Rodarte collaboration with jewelry designers Mark Walsh and Leslie Chin for Fall 2009, there has been very little press on Mama Mulleavy's vintage Cracker Jack charm necklaces, which sell at Barneys and The Cooper Hewitt for around $1,100 each. Pricey, yes, but looking at her crafty work, you begin to see where Laura and Kate get their very DIY aesthetic from; neither of them are formally trained in fashion, and Victoria was the one to teach them how to sew. In turn, the girls chose to name the line after her maiden name. I don't think a sweeter family fashion story has ever been told...

Vintage Cracker Jack prize necklace.

Doll charm necklace (deer by someone else).
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment