Friday, May 15, 2009

The Shape of Lies

Gold plated clip-on wing earrings from The Shape of Lies.

I've lived in Manhattan for my entire life, and somehow I've managed to miss The Shape of Lies, a tiny jewel box on 127 East 7th Street, even though it's been open for thirty years.  The owner, Peggy Yunque, lives in the back of the store with her husband, and makes many of the pieces she sells on a jeweler's bench that sits right behind the cash wrap.  It's incredible to stumble upon the space, which seems like the last standing relic of the era of Mom and Pop stores, which once dominated the the East Village but have been mostly replaced by chichi boutiques.

Peggy stocks her own line of reasonably priced costume jewelry, mainly based on ancient relics and sold to museum stores, in addition to many local talents, including one of my all time favorites, Anomaly Jewelry, designed by Karen Silverman.  It's one of those perfect places to pick up a present, and while I was there, my Father in Law, Arne, bought me a pair of golden wing clip-on earrings from Peggy's own collection.  While I sometimes feel like wings are overdone, I fell in love with this pair that reminded the Art History major in me of both Hermes's wings, and the Winged Victory of Samothrace.  If you are in New York you should definitely stop by, and if not, make sure to check out Peggy's online shop!

Historically inspired broaches, part of the store's museum jewelry line, based on ancient artifacts.

The entire collection of Anomaly Jewelry's Zodiac Babies, which I love so much.

More work from Anomaly jewelry and other local jewelry designers.

The cozy interior of the shop doubles are the owner's living space!

The owner and jewelry designer, Peggy Yunque
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment