Monday, May 25, 2009

The Antiques Garage

A totally insane looking knit jacket with this lady emblazoned on the back reminds me of GnarJen.

After multiple visits to the ever-popular, hipster-abundant Brooklyn Flea, I asked myself why I never walked a couple of blocks from my apartment, and visited the famous Antiques Garage flea market in Chelsea, which has been open every weekend for as long as I can remember. Located in a two-story Garage on 25th St between 6th and 7th Avenue, almost every designer I know has recommended this place as an excellent source for vintage inspiration pieces, and always suggest arriving at dawn to ensure the best pick of goods. Since I'm not exactly an early-riser, I made my way over in the late afternoon last weekend, and while I found that the selection of vintage was much better than your average flea, nice pieces were often matched with exorbitant price-tags. I realize that most of the designers I've worked with were shopping on the company credit card, but for your average shopper, it certainly isn't a bargain.

That said, it is an excellent place to browse for inspiration, with the highlight being the massive amounts of vintage jewelry vendors on hand. Multiple vendors at the Chelsea sell vintage Bakelite, and one gorgeous Bakelite heart broach was selling for $800. I also spotted many items of jewelry that are so antiquated an uncommon to be relegated to the texts of jeweler's history books. Though the prices of most of the pieces were out of my range (even after any amount of haggling), there were also several vendors who sold beads, findings, and overstock castings, all at a very reasonable price, and perfect for younger jewelry designers, or people with Etsy stores.  It's definitely worth stopping by for a peek.

Anyway, I hope you all have been having a lovely Memorial Day Weekend. I've been at my friends wedding in Connecticut, and although it was lovely, I not only suffered the loss of the heel of a never-worn pair of Chanel stilettos in the mud, but also managed to crack the screen on my camera so it's mostly useless.  Excuse my lack of half-decent photos until further notice... 

A case full of super-expensive vintage and antique costume jewelry.

The Garage was full of vintage dresses from the 40's-the 80's, and everything in-between.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment