Thursday, March 17, 2011

Gild the Lily

Mary Katrantzou dress, YSL belt, Katherine Kwei Amber Switch bag that I won, H&M tights.

One of my favorite local haunts is The National Arts Club, which is only a few blocks away from my apartment. Unfortunately, I can't hang out there too often, as it's an invite-only members club with a strict admissions process. As one of the humbler residents of Gramercy, I have limited access to the posher amenities that the neighborhood is known for. No key to the park, no fancy private clubhouse--I even wash my own hair, rather than paying someone to wash it for me, unlike some of my neighbors.

Luckily, The National Arts Club frequently has gallery openings, which I'm somehow occasionally invited to, and this past Monday I accompanied by friend Jonathan to view a group show. I'm always stunned by the lush and eclectically decorated interior, which is overflowing with a mishmash of artwork, antiques, and odd collections of knickknacks. For the occasion, I decided to wear my new Mary Katrantzou dress (snatched up on a steep discount at the Barneys Warehouse Sale), printed with gold, lace and pearls. In any other setting, it would stand out, but against the ornate furniture and drapery, I actually felt like I faded into the walls in an odd form of camouflage, as if I were wearing a gilt version of a Ghillie suit.

Don't be fooled by Jonathan's nonchalant pose, he was positively giddy to be there.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment