Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Say hello to my little friend...

A model wearing the elephant hat, and designer Yang Du wearing the matching set of elephant finger puppet gloves

Before I was obsessed with fashion or clothes, or with anything really, I was obsessed with my stuffed animals. To this day, if you go to my parents' apartment, my bedroom is lined with a childhood's worth of fuzzy inanimate friends that I cannot bear to part with. For that reason, Yang Du's knit explosion of over-the-top kawaii-cuteness has an indescribable personal appeal. Normally I don't approve of wearing your stuffed animals, but Du's animal head hats and finger-puppet gloves exude such humor and joy, you cannot help but get tickled by the twee concept. The highlight of the collection however is the assortment of oversized candy-colored knits emblazoned with giant cartoon faces. On several, eyes open on the front of the garment, and close coquettishly on the backside, and the outsized proportions of the garments turn the wearer into a living cartoon character. Du shows that fashion can still be fun, and clothes like these are likely to create the feeling of entering a second childhood, if only temporarily.

Wide open eyes on the front...

Blinking on the back!


A scarf with zebra heads at each end

Not your average hat and glove set


Swan finger-puppet gloves
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment