Tuesday, October 20, 2009

His and Hers

Jil Sander x Uniqlo tailcoat, Mischen dress, YSL tribute boots, vintage beret, Adrienne Landau sequined scarf, Triskaidekaphobia necklace, fake pearls from the district, Iosselliani ring

I never really understood the concept of going out and buying a 'boyfriend' jacket. Why not just steal/share your boyfriend's (or your brother, roommate or gay best friend's) jacket instead? With this sensitivity to economy in mind, I went to check out the Jil Sander for Uniqlo collection last week, later than most of the die-hard fans, but just in the nick of time to snatch up the last remaining tailcoat jacket that had been on my wishlist. Of course, since I was late, it was two sizes too large, but I liked the louche, oversized quality, and also figured that it would probably fit my slim husband perfectly, making it an ideal piece for us to both share.

However, when I brought the coat home, Jimmy thought otherwise. He immediately complained that it wasn't his style, that he would have never chosen it out for himself, and that it was way too formal for him to wear on a regular basis. As soon as he put it on though, he couldn't deny the incredible fit, and began to tepidly experiment with it. I tried to help him along by encouraging him to dress it down, less he be mistaken for a doorman at the Waldorf Astoria.

I guess I might have sold the shared jacket a little too hard, and on Saturday night, as we prepared to leave the house for my party at TriBeCa Grand, we both reached for the jacket. Even though I had prepared my outfit for the jacket, he claimed that it completed his 19th century drunken poet look (complete with grotesquely wine-stained teeth), and would have to change his entire outfit if I took the jacket from him. Not willing to endure any more slow-motion outfit changes from my inebriated companion, I conceded, and let him wear it, although I made him brush his teeth, and had him take a few outfit photos of me in it beforehand. Next time I will remember to buy my own boyfriend jacket.

Jil Sander x Uniqlo coat, American Apparel button down shirt, Marc Jacobs corduroy pants, Church's brogues.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment