Friday, March 6, 2009

100% Homemade

Green floor length velvet dress made by my mom in the 70's, Six Six Sick chain top, crown and ring my own design.

I will be the first to admit that I have a shopping problem. Still, I only buy something if I'm positive that I can't make it myself, and that I don't already have a similar item in my closet already. In the spirit of thrift, I decided to put together an outfit that's entirely homemade, from "shopping my closet" as the recessionistas (sorry for using that godawful word) say. While pillaging my closets for velvets (which were in abundance on the Fall 09 runways), I found an old green velvet dress that my mother had made for herself in the 70's. When she was growing up, she was truly a DIY queen, and made ALL of her clothes herself.  To complete the outfit, I threw on a draping chain top that Christina and I made for 66S last year in half an hour, working together on a mannequin while watching an episode of Gossip Girl.  I also put on a tiara and a crucifix ring that I made as part of my final collection when I was studying jewelry design at F.I.T.  I had a medieval look in mind when I was putting the outfit together, and the end result is very Lord of the Rings...


-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment