Sunday, March 1, 2009

Stella + Margiela

Stella McCartney chain embellished dress, worn with my Tara Subkoff for Easy Spirit boots.

If shopping were a sport, the Barney's Warehouse Sale would be the Superbowl. I always approach the madness of the warehouse sale with a samurai style shopping strategy. Wait until the second to last day, getting there right when they usually start the final round of reductions. Wear something that's easy to try things on over, so you don't have to go through the somewhat humiliating ordeal of undressing amidst of hundreds of harried shoppers---I chose my Martin Margiela bra leotard, which is perfect for throwing things over.  First hit the shoes, skip the massive junkpile of Co-op dregs (with discounts this deep, you can afford to be picky), and head straight for the designer section. While last season's sale served up rather slim pickings (although I walked away with some hot pink CDG pants), this season delivered that rare shopping orgasm. Proving that there is a silver lining to the current economic crisis that looms overhead, the racks of the sale were rife with this season's biggest editorial hits, ranging from the Stella McCartney towering wood wedge, the Jil Sander talon heel, Miu Miu paillette pumps, Prada lace skirts, and plenty of Balenciaga's rubber heels and dresses. And by the time I got there, everything was 80-90% off of their original retail price.

Having saved up all month for this very occasion, I went to work with the shoes. Although I have been pining for the Stella McCartney wood wedge shoes all season, on my feet they pinched, and wouldn't even be comfortable to sit in. The various styles of futuristic Balenciaga stilettos on hand were tempting too, but also seemed like an impractical buy since they didn't go with anything I own. After much internal debate (two full hours of it), I ended up choosing the Maison Martin Margiela nail-heeled booties that I've also been lusting after for a while, reduced from the not-so-friendly price of $945 to the slightly more palatable price of $180.

After the shoe orgy, I headed over to the less crowded designer section. There were plenty of beautiful Christopher Kane paillette adorned dresses and tops, but all of them looked tent-like and unflattering on me. So did the boxy rubberized Balenciaga dress that appeared so elegant and structural on the pages of the magazines, but looked like some kind of strange plastic candy wrapper casing on my own body.  I ended up choosing a Stella McCartney empire waist silk dress with chain embellishment over the entire bust, reduced from the totally ick price of $3,995 to $350.  In addition, I ended up spending three whole hours of my time, but it was well worth it knowing that I walked away with $5,000 worth of goods for a fraction of that price.

The chain embellishment wraps around the back and the halter neck, and is hand sewn on with silver thread!

The Maison Martin Margiela nail booties.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment