Friday, March 27, 2009

The Greatest Show On Earth

My favorite look of all. The best part of this three-neckhole, two-armed sweater is that when it gets cold, I can let the other 66Sick girls in on either side. I swear, this piece was made for us.

I've already written about how obsessed I am with the group behind Andrea Crews, and the Fall 09 Sisters of Mercy collection that they presented a few weeks ago has cemented my love for them. I've always felt that art is usually at its worst when it aligns itself with fashion, yet fashion is at its best when it aligns itself with art. That's probably the inferiority complex that I will forever suffer as someone who left the art world for the fashion industry. Andrea Crews is one of those fashion designers whose work verges on becoming art, and the actual construction of the clothing even reaches into the realm of performance, with the creators having giant DIY events to recycle and remake used clothes. Still, while Andrea Crews is distinctly concept based in many ways (their website apparently is down at the moment, but normally they have a manifesto of sorts up), they manage to remain on trend. It's as if they take some of the most popular motifs of the season---drop-crotch, slashed pants, statement necklaces, sweats---and filtered it through their own deranged criterion for what clothing should look like.  It also shows what amazing things you can do if you simply refashion things that already probably exist in your own wardrobe.  Excellent inspiration if you, like me, are planning on doing a lot of "shopping your closet" this season.  Here are some of my favorite images from the show, taken from their Colette blog.

This reminds me of a more twisted take on the Givenchy chain necklace. This time though, the focus is on the crosses, which are blown up to extraordinary proportions.

The Andrea Crews take on slashed pants, paired with a face obscuring headpiece.

I love this low-cut jacket made from sweatshirt material, and the fringed visor.

A very CDG looking dress made out of two dresses. Such a great idea, such an easy DIY, definitely on my to-do list.

A slashed dress, that reminds me a bit of Alexander Wang.  Christina actually made a very similar one for 66Sick a couple of weeks ago.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment