Wednesday, March 25, 2009

On the Hunt

Kling by Kling Japanese sweater, $185.

Welcome Hunters is doing an awfully good marketing job with their email blasts, cause every time they send me one of their updates, I end up trawling their site for several hours on end, wishing I lived in L.A. (not something I ever wish for in normal everyday life), and dreaming of perusing their racks in person. Since Dernier Cri closed last fall, there is a palpable gap in New York's relatively well covered independent designer market. For example, where am I going to find Marjan Pejoski's freaky-whimsical fair nowadays? And I certainly don't know of any East Coast boutiques stocking Finnish bad boy Daniel Palillo's deranged Shakespeare-meets-Hip-Hop-channeled-through-a-Euro-clubkid collection. Welcome Hunters doesn't just stock young and up and coming designers, but it buys the collections with just the right balance of humor and sophistication.  The items that they carry are quirky, sometimes silly, yet never sophomoric, and it's obvious that the buyers don't take themselves too seriously, which is something I'm afraid a lot of other independent boutiques are horribly guilty of.  And while other stores are buying safer, I love that this boutique still buys the outlandish and outrageous. I'm slightly obsessed, but seeing as I have no plans of visiting L.A. anytime soon, here are some of my favorite picks from their online store.

Daniel Palillo cropped top, $100, and Baroque leggings, $315.

Marjan Pejoski chiffon top with attached silk vest, $172.

Brian Lichtenberg holographic leggings, $145.

Miroike neon red gladiator sandals, $140.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment