Sunday, August 23, 2009

Not Another Love Story


Because my husband's choice of the evening, Inglorious Basterds, was sold out at the movie theater tonight, I lucked out and got a chance to force him into seeing 500 Days of Summer with me (which he's been resisting as if it would be an affront to his manhood). In spite of its borderline exploitational use of The Smiths, and all the ensuing indie masquerading while being overtly commercial, it was so thoroughly enjoyable that I can't help but post this music video of Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Did I mention the soundtrack is as excellent as you would imagine it to be?

One of my favorite aspects of the film was the anti-Sex In the City approach to costuming. While I love Pat Field (and the designer-label wet dream sequences that she luxuriates upon us), the costume designer of 500 Days of Summer, Hope Hanafin, decided to take the opposite approach. She dresses Zooey's character Summer in clothes that she could truly afford, from vintage and thrift stores and mass market retail chains, creating a more realistic sense of character, while maintaining a distinct sense of personal style. Basically, she looks like any cute girl you'd find hanging out on the blogosphere. Anyway, I suggest you go see it if you haven't already, and if you must, drag your respective other there under the pretense of seeing a Quentin Tarantino Nazi film.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment