Friday, November 6, 2009

Clogwild

Ribbon Woodpecker clog

I know how most of you feel about clogs. Most approach them with acute disdain, while a few raging fanatics (Christina included) are dying to bring them back. I myself am on the fence: I don't usually mind them on other people, but don't foresee myself adding them to my closet anytime soon. When Aapo sent me pictures of these Finnish "Woodpecker Clogs" from a store in Helsinki called Onni, I began to think about changing my stance. Made out of a wedge of wood riddled with Woodpecker style holes, and several strands of cord or ribbon, they have the traditional heft and clunk of a clog, but wrap around your foot with the grace of a ballerina slipper. The most enticing part of the brand however seems to be the shop itself, which is located in one of the designer's homes, and where they make their goods on the premise and take orders directly from the customers. It's supposed to be reminiscent of the way that traditional cobblers worked in the "olden times," and I love the way that many of their handmade designs are infused with a sense of craft, without looking out of date.

Cord Woodpecker Clog

Woodpecker Clog made with multicolor rags

I also fell for this ridiculous looking children's bag made out of rags and woven with stuffed animals

The interior of the Helsinki store
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment