Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ice, Ice, Baby: My Winter Inspiration Board


Winter always gets me down, but no matter how bad it is, I always remind myself it's much worse in Scandinavia, where I spend my last Christmas with Jimmy's family. For the two weeks I was in Stockholm, there were five hours of "daylight" during which I never actually saw the sun. Still, those Swedes know how to layer up, and when I recently found these beautiful photographs from two photoshoots shot by photographer Eugenio Recuenco, in what I'm pretty sure is Iceland (based on the outer-space like background, as well as the Icelandic flag flying in some of the photographs), I decided that they were the perfect inspiration to get me in the mood for this weather. All the soft knitted layers, heaps of fur, and winter whites (!!!) of the first photoshoot, combined with the super structured silhouettes of the second photoshoot, will act as the perfect basis for my winter look: Tilda Swinton's White Witch. I don't know if I liked the Chronicles of Narnia movie because it was my favorite book as a child, or if it was because William Moseley looks shockingly like my husband, or if it was simply because of Swinton's completely McQueen like costuming. Anyhow, I love the way white pops out from the sea of dark colors you see all winter long, and I plan on donning my cream colored Marc Jacobs coat with my white fur hat and my fox fur stole almost every day.

Recuenco's photographs also reminded me of two videos made by an old friend and former flame of mine, Bardi Johannsson of Bang Gang. The Bang Gang videos also are shot in Iceland's scenic naturescapes, and have the same foggy, dreamlike, Lynchian feel as the photographs. The first video, "Stop In The Name of Love," is an oldie, and the second video,"I Know You Sleep," is from Bang Gang's recently released third album, Ghosts From The Past. Both feature girls running through the not-so-warm looking woods and tundras in skimpy white dresses, set to awesome music naturally.

Cozy knitted layers. Photo by Eugenio Recuenco.

Loads of fur pelts. Photo by Eugenio Recuenco.

Architectural cuts. Photo by Eugenio Recuenco.

Winter whites. Photo by Eugenio Recuenco.

Tilda Swinton as The White Witch in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe


"Stop In The Name of Love" Bang Gang


"I Know You Sleep" Bang Gang
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment