Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Somewhere Between Gross and Amazing

Bunny and strawberry nail set. All nails available at Full Moon.

I've always been a fan of Japanese nail art, but for the most part find it absurdly out of my price range. In New York, a specially designed manicure with 3-D and acrylic art on every finger will run you around $100 or more. If I were married to a professional basketball player, I would probably have it done every week, but alas, I'm married to a Swedish teacher, and don't even think I can justify dropping that much cash on nail polish for a special occasion. Lucky for me, one of my best friends, Ashley, gave me a gift certificate to The Valley, a legendary nail salon in New York, and I'll finally let myself indulge.

While I was poking around the internet looking for design inspiration, I came across a number of DIY nail art sites, tutorials and videos, which got me thinking about giving it a try. Even though I love a good DIY, I'm actually not so great at home manicures, and a wavering left hand would probably ruin any home nail art attempts. Then I found Full Moon, a site which might be based out of Japan, or might be based out of Korea town for all I can tell. While they carry a wack-tastic selection of oddities ranging from macaroon decorating kits, rhinestone cell phone cases, and teddy bear adorned headphones, they also sell all the tools and adornments for at home manicures and nail art. Of particular interest: pre-decorated nail extensions that you can easily apply at home, averaging around $25 a set. Totally gross, yet simultaneously amazing. And more importantly, really funny. I think if I was wearing these, I would be cracking up at myself all day long. Less silly/tacky alternatives are available at the salon, but if I find myself addicted, don't be surprised if you see me around town wearing one of these ridiculous looking sets...

This pastel rainbow set reminds me of my childhood My Little Ponies playhouse

My favorite set of the bunch: cupcakes and ice cream cones! I wish I had these to wear with the Ashish ice cream cone dress!

A more classic girly set

For some reason this is called the "British" set, I guess because it mimics a tartan plaid?
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment