Monday, May 24, 2010

So Chichia

All photos from Chichia London

Lately I've been really feeling the recent spate of African prints that have been popping up everywhere--Suno's bold and colorful collection, as well as ASOS's recently released ASOS Africa line both come to mind. Still, I've been reticent to jump into the trend, fearing that I might appear to be dressing up in a costume, and knowing how silly most people look when donning clothes that are too overtly "ethnic." I'm also wondering if I'm being subconsciously influenced by the all the wonderful Afro-pop and Afro-pop influenced music that's been on my summer playlist. I know that Christina attributes the recent acquisition of a colorful African style wallet (totally out of place with the rest of her wardrobe) to listening to The Very Best on repeat.

Anyway, another collection has popped up on the radar that has decidedly piqued my interest in African prints: Chichia London. Tanzania-born and London-raised designer Christine Mhando takes influences from both cultures to inform her designs, which often incorporate classic African wraps called Khangas. While the vibrant prints remain intact, the simple wrap fabric is reconstructed into not-so-basic separates and dresses, and completely unexpected designs. I personally like the pieces best when mixed rather than matched, creating a personal cacophony of prints that won't risk being mistaken for a traditional costume.





-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment