Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Celebrate Sweden Week!

Win The Local Firm's sunglasses!

Longtime readers know that I have a love for all things Swedish, starting with my beloved hubby and extending to Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair, Jens Lekman, crayfish parties, free healthcare, salt licorice, midnight sun, and liberal open container laws. While I won't be heading back to Stockholm till August, my beloved friend Chet told me that they're currently celebrating Sweden Week in Seattle. Chet lived in Stockholm at the same time that I did, and recently relocated to The Emerald City, where he works as a marketing director at Blackbird (we'll be selling Triskaidekaphobia at the store starting in mid-June). Chet and Blackbird are both participating in the Swedish festivities, and I thought I'd share the opportunity to participate with those of you who share a passion for all things Scandinavian.

If you live in Seattle, The Nordic Heritage Museum will be hosting an Arctic Summer Fashion Show, featuring Scandinavian designers like The Local Firm, Marimekko, Tretorn, and our friend Lars Andersson. Tickets are $35, and you can find more information on the Blackbird blog. Those of us who don't live in Seattle still can participate in the contest that Blackbird is having: they'll be giving two lucky readers a pair of The Local Firm's sunglasses, as well as some delicious Swedish edibles. All you have to do is answer the following question: What is Sweden's greatest contribution to the world? Read the rest of the rules here, and remember, be as creative as possible, since the feisty staffers of Blackbird will convene to judge the best entries. Email your answers to james@blackbirdballard.com by May 17th. While I won't be giving away my answer (um, maybe it's obvious), I will give you my alternative answer, in the format of a playlist of a few of my favorite Swedish bands.


Jens Lekman- Tram #7 to Heaven


Lykke Li- Knocked Up (Kings of Leon cover)


Veronica Maggio- Stopp


The Knife- Like A Pen


Håkan Hellström- Känn Ingen Sorg För Mig Göteborg


The Tough Alliance- Neo-Violence


Peter, Bjorn & John- Objects of My Affection


The Concretes- Miss You (Rolling Stones cover)


Miike Snow- Animal


Shout Out Louds- Tonight I Have to Leave It
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment