Monday, May 17, 2010

In Search of Halston (and Baby Benny Liu)

A shot from Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston

A few weeks ago, I was offered an opportunity to do a group phone interview with Whitney Sudler-Smith, the director of the recent Halston documentary, Ultrasuede: In Search of Halston. Disappointingly, the timing was completely off, and I missed it, as well as the screening of the film at The Tribeca Film Festival. I have to admit though, I'm more familiar with (and interested in) the legend of Halston the 70's playboy than his actually work as a fashion designer, mainly because I've been regaled with so many salacious stories courtesy of our fairy-godfather, Benjamin Liu.

Of course, it would be natural to assume that Benjamin would make an appearance in the documentary, but I didn't know until he came out to celebrate my birthday, and one of my friends asked me, mouth agape, if he had seen Benjamin in the movie. In typical fashion, Benjamin himself had missed the screening too, and joked that he was surprised that the people making it managed to get the thing together. Disappointingly, there's no indication that the film is set for a commercial release, so we have no idea when we'll have the opportunity to view it.

In the meantime though, Benjamin did reveal an ancient music video by The Cars that he appeared in for their song "Hello Again." Directed by Andy Warhol and hilariously lo-fi, a flash of Baby Benny appears halfway into the clip dancing on top of a bar in a leopard leotard complete with tail (predating Jeremy Scott x Adidas's similarly styled leopard hoody by twenty five years) and Halston heels (naturally). I think we all died a little when we saw it. Benjamin has promised to show us his old drag costumes and attire, and I definitely can't wait to see this one!


-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment