Monday, October 18, 2010

We Could Send Letters




For the Spring 2011 migh-T collection, Kumiko Watari chose to build on the theme of "Long Distance Love," a subject I can relate to very well. When I met Jimmy four years ago, he was still based in Sweden, and the entire first year of our relationship was spent flying back and forth, moving to and from our respective cities (New York and Stockholm), and sending lots of letters. While very few snail mail parcels were sent, we acted for the most part as a modern day couple: most of our correspondences were done via internet, with hundreds of emails and instant messaging to bridge the distance. Looking at the migh-T collection, which is covered in hand-drawn illustrations of stamps, postal markings, and pen-pal gifts, I somewhat regret our lack of material correspondence (although all of our emails are saved on my desktop). When I was younger, I used to cherish sending letters, but the pleasure of opening an envelope has long been replaced by the instant gratification of the email, which obviously is much more efficient when conducting a long-distance love affair. Watari brings all the sweet sentiments of snail mail back, and I'm instantly reminded of the very lovely Aztec Camera song "We Could Send Letters," which incidentally did make it on to a mix tape that I mailed Jimmy in one of our few postal correspondences...







The Aztec Camera- We Could Send Letters
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment