Monday, March 22, 2010

Slow and Steady Takes the Cake

The Slow and Steady Wins the Race folding clear sunglasses and the round framed tortoise shell glasses with square lenses

Yesterday afternoon, I got a text from Christina saying "All of Mary Ping is $10 at Urban!" There's a reason why she's my best friend. I immediately dropped what I was doing (which happened to be my pesky Rosetta Stone Swedish course) and zipped out of the house and down to the Urban Outfitters on 14th St. and 6th Avenue. Months ago, it had been the site of an entire Slow and Steady Wins the Race shop-in-shop, and now that they're cleaning out their inventory, the remnants are all up for grabs. And those remnants are good. Plenty of the lines signature canvas 'fake' bags, a few tees and deconstructed white button down shirts, and every single pair of the brand's distinctive plastic sunglasses. The best part? Every single item from the collection was $10 (reduced from their standard going price of $100), which was even cheaper than most items were at the Mary Pings sample sale a few months back.

At the sample sale, I had hesitated and decided against buying the glasses because I wasn't 100% sure they suited my face. But at $10 a pop, I was so convinced that I could make them suit my face that I bought two pairs--the folding pair that I had considered in clear plastic, and a mod pair of round framed glasses with square lenses in tortoise-shell. I also couldn't help but pick out two bags: a gray jersey faux Balenciaga, and a muslin version of the classic Chanel bag. When the cash register rung me up for $40 rather than the normal price of $400, it felt like such a steal I was afraid the security alarm was going to go off when I left the store. If you are in New York, I highly suggest you head down to Urban A.S.A.P. (I'm talking to you Amanda), since at the moment, none of the regular Urban crowd seemed all too interested, and you have your pick of plenty of goods. And if you aren't into Slow and Steady Wins the Race, there are also plenty of Sophomore dresses and tanks on the sale racks for $10 too...

The muslin take on the Chanel bag

The gray jersey faux Balenciaga
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment