Monday, June 7, 2010

Mother, Mother

Mother x Uniqlo oversize tee, Balenciaga vest, H&M tights, VPL boots, Devaki hat, Slow and Steady Wins the Race bag, Annti Asplund necklaces, Iossolliani ring, Triskaidekaphobia ring.

The thing I hate about Uniqlo is that they don't always publicize their many collaborations. Sure, we've all heard plenty about their Jil Sander collection, and even a bit about the recent collaboration with local favorites Costello Tagliapietra, but there's been barely a peep regarding their ongoing work with Japanese designers like furfur, mother, and G.V.G.V., which they've been releasing throughout the spring. I stopped by the store last week hoping to pick up something from the Costello Tagliapietra line, which was unfortunately mostly sold out, when I stumbled upon the small rack from their Japanese lines. It looked like they'd been sitting around for a while and were mostly picked over, but I still found the last oversized mother shirt, which I immediately fell in love with. The shirt definitely resembles hospital scrubs with ruffles attached to the sleeves, but no matter! I know that this baggy tent shape is just about the most comfortable thing to wear during a sweltering New York summer.

I'm also a big fan of the mother line, which I can only describe as the perfect balance of ugly and cute, looking somewhat like the deranged red headed stepchild of Cacharel. I love the way they take traditional floral prints and render them in off-kilter color combinations, boldly mix and clash patterns, and add plenty of unnecessary fringe and trim in unexpected places. Here are some shots from their Spring collection, but if you can't make it to Japan, I definitely suggest you stop by Uniqlo before everything sells out!







-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment