Thursday, February 25, 2010

That Heat

My favorite look from Rosa Cha by Alexandre Herchcovitch, a tie-dye and lace paneled scuba-dress. All photos by Alexandre Schneider/UOL

When I heard that Brazilian designer Alexandre Herchcovitch was taking over as the head designer of swimwear company Rosa Cha, I was intrigued, but somewhat dubious about the appropriateness of the pairing. Known for his rapturous use of colors and clashing prints to create avant-garde designs with a decidedly Southern Hemisphere spin, Herchcovitch seems a little bit off-kilter for a company best known for flashy beach clothes that are meant to show off flesh rather than fabric cuts and combinations.

My entire view was turned upside down when I stopped by Fiftytwo Showroom and took a peek at the new collections. Fiftytwo now represents Herchcovitch's eponymous collection as well as Rosa Cha, and while it was definitely strong, I have to say I was surprisingly more impressed with his work for Rosa Cha. Herchcovitch took all the elements of his dynamic designs, and transposed them on the decidedly oomph-oriented swimwear line to create a collection that is utterly unique, while delivering that signature Brazilian sex appeal. I loved the cheeky bathing suits that looked like lingerie, as well as a group of lace and tie-dye printed scuba-suits and dresses. They're so perfect for the surf-trend, and I don't think any designer has ever made me want to wear a swimming cap so badly. I have to say, of all the pieces I've seen in person so far this season, the one I want the most is the dress pictured above, and if it's not too prohibitively expensive, I just might have to place a personal. I'm already picturing myself this summer wearing this to Rockaway Beach while listening to The Drums and Passion Pit on repeat...






-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment