Thursday, February 11, 2010

R.I.P. Alexander McQueen

Alexander McQueen Fall 2007 via Style.com

Not all that much to say that hasn't already been said. On a personal level, we were, like so many others, highly influenced by Alexander McQueen's work, his style, and his uncompromising vision. In our fangirl fervor, I can't tell you the number of times we've turned to his catwalk shows as inspiration to create an outfit for Six Six Sick, or merely to copy the hair or makeup. We could never afford his runway pieces, but that wouldn't stop us from trying to recreate the fantasy that it represented at home. One of my favorite McQueen looks came from his Fall 2007 show, a hard plastic shell bodice that gave the model the appearance of looking half mannequin, and half human. Taking it as inspiration a couple of years ago, we bought several mannequin forms in the district, and cut them up to create our own plastic corsets, and paired them with the creepy cerulean blue eye makeup worn by all the models in the show. It's still my favorite outfit out of the hundreds we've made. Though I am devastated that he is no longer with us, I'm thankful for the endlessly inspirational legacy that he has left behind, and that will continue to influence us for as long as we create an design.

Christina, myself and Feng Feng shot by Marina Robel
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment