Saturday, April 18, 2009

Jump! Jump!

This plaid Isabel Marant Etoile plaid jumpsuit, which I saw at Bird today, is definitely at the top of my list.  I particularly love the mismatched plaid cuffs, and the general pajama-y style. Photo from Teen Vogue.

J. Lo must be really ahead of my game, cause I'm seriously just picking up on things that she was wearing, like, 4 years ago. First, the freaking floppy hat. Now I'm lusting after jumpsuits. What has happened to me? Not that I would style them the same way as Ms. Lo---I certainly wasn't digging it when she wore it gas-station attendant style with high-heeled Timbs---but I'm just starting to get the unisuit's appeal.  I suppose it's a matter of the shifting period eye.  While they were previously viewed in as kitch, and automatically conjured images of Studio 54, or worse, the aforementioned jumpsuit-loving celebrity, the fickle and ever changing eye of fashion has both revised and recontextualized them in a more modern light.  The effect has been so pronounced that their vintage value has soared---while a couple of seasons ago they were collecting dust in the corner of most vintage boutiques, the prices that they command have been elevated to match their increased runway visibility.  I hate to be a sucker for trends, or worse yet, a victim, but I can't help but love some of the versions out there, which just look so modern and classic.  Here are just a few of my favorites.

A really darling vintage version, complete with peplum, from Bows and Arrows Vintage.  A steal at$29, I would get it if I didn't fear that it would drown me!

A particularly ethereal version from Philip Lim 3.1, which will cost you about $850...
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment