Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Joomi's Jewels

A few seasons ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Joomi Lim while working at the D&A tradeshow. Her booth was not too far away from mine, and Joomi is so friendly that I quickly struck up a conversation, and soon found out she was a blog reader. Joomi designs and runs the line with her husband Xavier, and I was immediately attracted by the unusual plating colors that they use on many of their pieces, which are alternatively bright blue-green or an almost iridescent oily purple color. I almost never encounter metal jewelry in these colors, aside from cheap aluminum chain, and I was incredibly impressed by the quality. It turns out that Xavier has a background in industrial design, giving the pair a toolbox of non-traditional design resources that they've applied to their jewelry.

The results combine feminine motifs like rhinestones and pearls, with tougher materials such as spikes, industrial looking chains, or the aforementioned titanium plating. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I feel like you can see a little bit of Joomi and a little bit of Xavier in each of the pieces, a lovely marriage (literally) of two complimentary creative aesthetics. Here are a few of my favorite pieces from the current and previous collections, which are available at Opening Ceremony and on Joomi's website.







-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment