Thursday, October 15, 2009

All Hail AllSaints

AllSaints sweater, Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair tank top, Zara pants, Rachel Comey boots, Devaki hat, Longchamps leather bracelet, Gerard Yosca cuff, Antti Asplund necklaces, Iosselliani ring

Ok, I have a confession to make that will probably have some of my U.K. friends guffawing. Up until last week, I was under the impression that AllSaint was the British equivalent of Hot Topic, selling mass market goth/punk attire for suburban alterna-kids. I mainly blame the name, which I associate with the girl group, and I also blame the fact that AllSaints hasn't enjoyed the same U.S. publicity blitz that Topshop has had. That said, I admit I must be partially blind, considering the fact that so many of my favorite bloggers wear the brand quite frequently.

Then, a couple of months ago, a British jewelry designer who I was freelancing for admired my Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair dress, commenting that it "bore the same handwriting" as her favorite High Street brand, AllSaints (even though her boyfriend is one of the owners of Topshop). Rather than checking out AllSaints as she suggested, I felt mostly disbelieving, not to mention slightly insulted on behalf of one my favorite labels of all time. How could they possibly compare?!

AllSaints however has made it's way to me, first opening up a store in New York's Bloomingdales in September, and recently launching its U.S. online store. I finally took a peek at their website, and was immediately sucked in. Though the U.S. site has a skimpier selection than the U.K., it's still packed with beautifully deconstructed knits, perfectly tailored jackets and coats, and plenty of lovely draped dresses and haphazardly ballooning skirts. While the collection has a distinctly roguish, highwayman feel, I can definitely see touches of Fifth Avenue, and even CDG running throughout, and have to admit that I'm already addicted to this slightly less expensive alternative. I immediately ordered this deconstructed sweater, and already have several items on my Christmas wishlist.



I'm somewhat obsessed with this waistcoat, which reminds me of a Victorian medical corset

I love the draping of this jacket, which looks like it's perfectly tailored, yet slightly disheveled

The leather buckle straps add the perfect amount of detail to this dress
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment