Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Spill Your Guts

Chromat sash, Nakkna dress, VPL boots, Triskaidekaphobia bracelet and ring, Gerard Yosca leaf necklace worn as headband, Anni Albers DIY necklace.

Yesterday afternoon I had the pleasure of meeting Becca McCharen, one half of the duo behind Chromat. Becca just relocated to New York from Virginia to devote herself to developing Chromat full-time, and her partner Emily Kappes will be following her next month. When she asked me if I wanted to meet up for a drink and talk about clothes, I immediately said yes. I already was familiar with Chromat from viewing the spring collection at International Playground, and I'm a big fan of all of the structural cage pieces that they created out of boning. It was great to meet one of the designers, and Becca wears all of her outrageous clothes herself. Her outfits earned the reputation of being the Lady Gaga of her town, garnering many stares, and I think she's relieved to move to New York, where people barely look twice at an outlandish outfit.

After we had a lovely chat over coffee at my favorite Swedish coffee shop, Fika, Becca was kind enough to lend me a few pieces from both her Spring and Fall collections to play with, so you can expect to see plenty of Chromat over the next week! This draping rope sash is from the fall collection, Musclechrome, which was inspired by muscle tendons and striations, and the distorted bodies of professional bodybuilders. According to the lookbook, the sash is meant to resemble hanging intestines, giving new meaning to "spilling your guts." I can't wait to show you all the other pieces that I have on loan...

-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment