Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bye Bye Yohji


As many of you already know, the two Yohji Yamamoto stores in New York City have closed permanently. Yesterday and today, behind the papered up windows, they had a private friends and family 90% off sale at their Soho store. I stopped by late today, even though I was originally planning on skipping it for lack of funds, after my friend Brandon, a Yohji fanatic, called me urgently reminding me that this was my last chance. To emphasize the point, he began reading me the ridiculous prices for items ($57 for a Limi Feu bustier, $29 for a top, etc), until my feet were walking themselves out the door.

I of course arrived quite late in the game, but I was rather surprised by the selection they did have left, which included one of my favorite Limi Feu pieces, a pair of shorts with a detachable half skirt. In fact, most of the Limi Feu pieces remained untouched by the predominantly older customers, and I couldn't help but wonder if part of the store's troubles stemmed from failing to attract younger crowds into the ranks of die-hard Yohji fans. Unfortunately, although I spent over an hour picking through the remains, everything I desperately wanted was the wrong size. Brandon, however, managed to get the above coat, as well as a sweater.

I almost was tempted to get something as a souvenir of sorts, but reminded myself that Yohji will still be available in the U.S. at other stores, and that Y-3 stores will remain open. It is still a very sad moment to see such an pioneering fashion house close its doors in New York, especially after seeing it on that corner for half of my life. Lets hope that they get a chance to reorganize, and come back to New York when this recession is over.
-Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment