Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Honeymooners

Carrots serves mini carrot cupcakes while you shop.

Inspite of starting out my day with a somewhat inauspicious sprained ankle (which was directly followed by two elderly Chinese men burping at me), San Francisco has been, in almost every way, incredible. We began in the design oriented Jackson Square area, blocks away from our apartment in Nob Hill. Taking Ashley's advice, I made Carrots my first destination, with Jimmy in tow. Thankfully they had plenty of men's clothes, including a nice selection of Rag and Bone to entertain him while I snacked on their carrot cupcakes, and looked for a pair of flats for swollen ankle. Unfortunately, while their selection of Richard Chai and Stella McCartney clothing is incredible, their shoe selection was limited, and I left emptyhanded. Limping along, we made stops at Eden & Eden, a home accessories shop that carried Tatty Devine's plastic baubles and Ivana of Helsinki clothing, and AREA, a beautiful furniture store that was filled with AREAWARE's witty designs, before heading to the Castro area for lunch.

After tacos and chocolates at Chocolates on Castro, we headed to Haight Ashbury where we hit the major vintage shops. Long ago, I lost all of my patience for sifting through piles of junk for hidden treasures (I'll leave that to Nicollette, she's a professional after all), but once in a while I'll make an exception. I picked up some Look From London plaid tights at Wasteland, and then we stopped at Decades Vintage, which has the most incredible selection of clothes from the 1880's-1980's, including a breathtaking selection of hats. I was dying to pick up a tophat, but they started at $180 for the silk collapsible variety, and went up to $300 for the turn of the century beaverskin hat of my choice. I also inquired after a Paul Revere style tricorne hat, which is selling at the Marc Jacobs store right now for over $1,000, but apparently, they were all snatched up by Burning Man Festival attendees. Eep! A true fashion victim moment. I guess I will take this as a sign to skip the tricorne hat for FW08.

Acrimony in Hayes Valley.

Non-stop window shopping and a sprained ankle started to catch up to me, so we took a rest in Golden Gate Park, where drug dealers appears to be operating in a free market. We then went for a well deserved drink for Jimmy at Magnolia Gastropup and Brewery, where we shared a sweet rosebud flavored beer, and I pocketed a few of their beautifully illustrated coasters. We moved on to Hayes Valley, which is like San Francisco's Smith street, and is lined with cozy restaurants and cute boutiques. We took a look at Nida, where we tried on Opening Ceremony and Y-3 clothes we'll probably pick up back east, and then Acrimony, which stocks a reasonably priced selection of Hussein Chalayan, Stresis and Minimarket. We finished the night with happy hour drinks at Sugar Bar, which not only had $4 well drinks, but free appetizers, which left us giddy with drink, as well as with San Francisco's prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment